Thursday, April 26, 2012

My favorite Summer salsa ever! (Also known as "Creative Uses for Black Beans, #1")

I LOVE THIS SALSA.

It tastes so fresh, and healthy, and...like Summer in sunshine!  I eat the entire batch by myself, in two days, if I allow it.  And I don't feel guilty.  Because it's so GOOD for you!  (Well, okay, eating it with tortilla chips is NOT, but I also love to add it to a breakfast burrito...)

Note:  The only change I've made is that I added black beans in place of some of the corn (I normally use two bags of super sweet frozen steam corn, and this time I just used 1 bag and about 1/4 lb. of cooked black beans).
The finished product, waiting for tortilla chips...

Ingredients

  • 3 ears fresh corn, husks and silks removed
  • 2 avocados - peeled, pitted, and cubed
  • 1 red onion, finely diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • salt and black pepper to taste

Directions

  1. Place the corn in a large pot with enough water to cover, and bring to a boil. Cook until kernels are tender but crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain, and cool in cold water. Use a knife to scrape kernels from the cobs.
  2. Place kernels in a medium bowl. Stir in avocados, red onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Add cumin, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Mix in vinegar, olive oil, and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.

MAKE THIS SALSA.
Source:  http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-and-avocado-salsa/detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=corn%20and%20avocado%20salsa&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=%2fmy%2frecipebox%2fdefault.aspx


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, have you tried the variation of this recipe on the back of the red quinoa package at trader joe's? SO. Good. Call for that roasted frozen corn at TJ's and the cilantro dressing....Inhaled it pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO, I don't know about this TJ item!! :) Fun, fun! I'll have to check it out next time! :)

      Delete