Sunday, June 3, 2012

Quinoa taco pie!

This recipe, from here: http://www.damyhealth.com/2012/05/quinoa-taco-bites/ , is originally titled "Quinoa taco bites."  But I was feeling lazy, so I just put it all in one big dish.  :)  I also made a lot of substitutions:  

 Original Recipe:


Prep time: 10 Minutes – Cook time: 40 Minutes – Total time: 50 Minutes
Yield: Makes 24 Taco Bites
Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups Cooked Quinoa
  • 1/4 Cup Egg Whites
  • 1 Cup Chopped Cauliflower (You can also use zucchini, carrots or any other shredded vegetable)
  • 1/2 Cup Drained 1% Cottage Cheese (or Dry Curd)
  • 1/8 Cup Chopped Onion
  • 1/4 Tsp Garlic Salt
  • 1 Tsp Taco Spice
  • 1/2 Cup Daiya Vegan Cheese (or you can use Hard Cheddar Cheese or Parmesan Cheese)
  • 1 Tbsp Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
  • 1/8 Cup Salsa
  • 1 Small Firm Avocado (Diced)
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Spray mini muffin tin with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
  2. Place egg whites, cauliflower, cottage cheese, onion, taco spice and hot sauce into your food processor and blend until smooth.
  3. Remove and place in a bowl. Add in the avocado, salsa, cheese and quinoa.
  4. Mix ingredients gently and completely.
  5. Scoop ingredients into your mini muffin tin and pat down evenly.
  6. Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes (until bites are golden brown).
  7. Remove from oven and let set in the muffin tin before removing for 10 minutes.
  8. To remove – gently take a butter knife around the edges of your bites to release them from your tin.
  9. Serve and enjoy!



My Substitutions:
1.  I just eyeballed the quinoa because I had a bunch leftover (cilantro lime quinoa) from my cilantro lime and blackened chicken.
2.  I didn't use cauliflower.  I used a bunch of random veggies:  green pepper, onions, a tomato, etc.
3.  I didn't use cottage cheese.  I used 1/2 a can or so of pumpkin puree.  I know, it sounds weird, but it worked well as a dairy free substitute.  It sort of absorbs the flavor of anything you put in with it.
4.  I cooked some chicken in taco powder and put that in, in little chunks.
5.  I added about a cup, or more, of black beans.
6.  I didn't do the avocado.

Phew!  I know, I know...but it really is close to the original recipe, I think.  And it worked very well!  It was tasty, very healthy, and a great way to use up my leftover quinoa!  Bam.  :)

~Lisa



No comments:

Post a Comment