Friday, May 11, 2012

Wild Rice Black Bean Salad: (Alternately titled "Creative Use for Black Beans #4)



My friend Amy gave me this recipe on Facebook, and it's a winner!  Incredibly easy, very tasty, and very healthy.  I found that I might want to add a bit more dressing next time (maybe especially the vinegar?), and more jalapeno as well.  I also needed to cook the wild rice about 10 minutes longer than stated in the recipe, but that could be because of the brand/type of rice I used.




Wild Rice Black Bean Salad:

One of my favorite summer salads to make!  This is a great gluten free dish to prepare if you or a friend needs that!

1 cup uncooked wild rice
2 3/4 cup chicken broth
2 shallots, diced (I have used a few Tbsp diced onions if I don't have shollots)

Combine ingredients, bring to a boil, cover and reduce to simmer about 45 minutes.  Drain any excess liquid

Salad:
Prepared wild rice
3 peppers diced (I use 1 of each  red, yellow, and oragne)
1 jalapeno, chopped (I rarely put this in since I don't usually have any on hand)
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
5 green onions, sliced
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro or parsley 

Dressing:
1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
4 drops tobasco sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp dried thyme leaves
pepper, to taste

Combine salad ingredients, mix dressing ingredients together and pour on top and mix together.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment